Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Please help me understand - No boot loop, but can't factory reset. Software not autho

Hello,
I am not a phone expert by any means. I am probably in the 'knows just enough to be dangerous category,' but I am quite willing to learn. Here is my situation as I understand it. Please advise whether my premise is flawed.

Phone: rooted Verizon Note 3 KitKat NC4 off contract / pre-paid , no warranty

Ultimate Goal: to wipe my phone and have a clean slate. Bonus if I could be able to backup images of my phone for the future. Heheeeee.

Sitrep: phone is in need of a wipe/do-over to resolve some minor annoyances, but factory reset doesn't work. It says "System software not authorized by Verizon detected...please shove it," or something. That is curious, because, since I am trying to get rid of allllllllll the software, it should just let me do it if it doesn't like some of the software. I probably don't understand this fully. (Or else they just want me to go to Verizon so they can sell me a new/worse/more despotic phone.)

I only get that message if i try to reset it, not every time i turn it on, so it doesnt bother me, but i do want to reset it, because it is full of cobwebs and battery issues. From reading this forum, I think the reason it won't reset is that about a year ago, I installed clockwork and did *something* to the recovery, but it freaked out, because my boot loader wasn't (and still isn't) unlocked, so I uninstalled clockwork. I don't remember why I installed it. It was too long ago. I think i thought i could back up my rom or something. Anyway, it has worked fine ever since, I just can't wipe it and it tells me about unauthorized software. I found instructions on here about 'flashing back to stock kitkat with Odin,' which I gather will fix my recovery, and as long as I don't do that clockwork recovery thing again, I can reset it whenever I want to, on KitKat. (I am not interested in "upgrading.") I was all set to do that, when, last night, to my joy, I saw the Verizon note 3 boot loader unlock has arrived. That (I think) means that I can (eventually) unlock the boot loader and go back to jelly bean. Yay! Or cyanogen!! Yayay!

Question: shall I first reflash KitKat in Odin, so that the recovery is operational, THEN unlock it? Or can I unlock it first, even if the recovery is messed up, skip fixing KitKat, and go back to jelly bean (or maybe cyanogen)? I am afraid that there is a right order and a wrong order, and I'm sure to pick the wrong one.

Maybe these 2 things have nothing to do with each other. I have no idea. I just feel like I might be at a crossroad.

Thank you very much for helping a lady in somewhat unfamiliar territory.
Auralay


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1UfIdO7
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment